Monday, June 1, 2009

6.1.09

I got a phone call today from Nurse Debbie (one of the people I really love at my doctor's office) informing me that my bloodwork results came back from last week and I have mono.

Hmm.

Explains a lot. It's convalescent, chronic/recurring, which I think means the worst is over (it better be! much worse and I'd be dead) and since this is the 3rd time I've had mono (twice in college) I guess that's the chronic part?

One of our preschoolers had it about a month ago, so I wonder if the little exposure I had to him was enough to bring it out since the virus stays in your system forever. I can tell you that I have not been smooching anyone other than my husband! (and even he doesn't get much these days!!)

I'm a bit perplexed about the night I went to the ER and asked for a strep and mono test, both of which came back negative. That was about 4 days before the 2nd round of bloodwork. They had the results back within about a half hour though. In college it took a couple days. Does that seem fishy to you? Any nurses out there?

Either way, I feel so much better now that it doesn't really matter. I'm to finish out my antibiotic (not penicillen!) and take it easy. Yeah, with a 5 month old?! I wonder if I could get an Rx for a nanny. I go back to that darn doctor in 2 weeks. I thought I was finished with her.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

sometimes it takes mono awhile to show up on a test. my son had it and it took a week for it to show up. (i'm a nurse)hope you get to feeling better soon.

Trisha.R.Jackson said...

Oh no!! Mono really really really sucks. I hope you get better soon. No doubt a secondary infection with all of the stress you've been under. Quite a way to run down your immune system.