Sunday, May 3, 2009

5.4.09

Dear Lilly,

You may not realize it, but this weekend you had your third Kentucky Derby experience. Can you believe it? Three and you're only 4 months old. Allow me to explain.

Every year Mommy and Daddy go to Grandma and Grandpa's house for the Derby. Even though they live in Indiana, they live right on the border of Kentucky, separated by a little water. The Kentucky Derby is a much bigger deal there than it is here. This was the weekend, last year, when we shared our big news with Grandma and Grandpa-- the news that you would be arriving in January (wrong!). We went out to watch the race and Mommy's winning streak ended. I don't remember who I picked, but I was wrong. The only female horse in the entire race, Eight Belles, got hurt badly and I cried for days! Although very sad, I have a sneaking suspicion that you may have had something to do with all those extra emotions:) You were just weeks-- days-- old.

In June Mommy and Daddy went to Louisville for Christyn's wedding (she is the one who made you the adorable stroller blanket and scarf with the really funny story to go along. It's in your baby book... I'll read it to you someday.) Before the wedding, we put our fanny packs on and took to the tourist circuit. (I kid, no fanny packs here.) Along the way, we stopped at Churchill Downs. You were a 12 week old glimmer, but you were there! Here we are riding the simulator-- it is hard work!!



And here you are watching the Derby all by yourself this year! Dad and I stunk on our bets. We both had 2nd picks in the Top 5 though!

3 comments:

Christyn said...

Ah! I love it! So glad you are educating Lilly in all things Derby :) And thanks for the shout-out!

Love you, Lilly!

Alyssa Mommy said...

Thats cute! Its crazy to think really a whole year has past since this all started and now the babies are here to enjoy all the fun!

Bead Up said...

By the way, I have a blogger identity now, too :)

I am learning alot from your mommy, Lilly!

~Christyn